Title: Older Road User Conference (conference papers)
Organisation: Road Safety GB, New View Consultants & RAC Foundation
Date uploaded: 10th October 2018
Date published/launched: September 2018
The cnference set out to help road safety professionals keep older people safe on the roads for longer.
The programme included:
• An opening address by Dame Joan Bakewell CBE, who recently presented a Panorama special report titled 'Life at 100'.
• A keynote address from Dr Charles Musselwhite, associate professor in gerontology at the Centre for Innovative Ageing, Swansea University.
• A session on medical issues, featuring presentations from: Dr Lily Read, Community Mental Health Team for Older People, Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust; and Dilwyn Marple-Horvat, Professor of Motor Neuroscience, Manchester Metropolitan University.
• A session titled 'Design for older road users', featuring presentations from: Dr Julie Gandolfi, Driving Research Ltd; Stephen Joseph OBE, Advisor, Campaign for Better Transport; and Dr Chris McGinley, Research Fellow, Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design.
• A focus on vehicles & technology, with presentations from: Stuart Millward, CEO Satsafe; and Julia Chen, Senior Policy Adviser, Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles.
• A session outlining older drivers interventions, with presentations from: Sergeant Rob Heard, The Older Drivers Forum; June Howlett, Road Safety Officer, Transport for Bucks; Rhian Hughes, Road Safety Team Leader, Wirral Council; Ian Edwards, New View Consultants; and Dr Fiona Fylan, Brainbox Research.
The presentations can be downloaded from the conference website (link below).
For more information contact:
Help Forum posts
SCP Survival Guide
Janette Francis (19.10.18)
Outsourcing road safety education in schools
Louise Martin (15.10.18)
Mobility Scooter users - training
Julie Jones (12.10.18)
Safety outside primary schools
Martina Byrne-Obee (04.10.18)
Conspicuity of School Buses
Ross Bartlett (01.10.18)