Pedestrians

Home Page Forums Help Forum: Pedestrians Pedestrians

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Becky Hinchley
    Participant

I am looking for any materials/ leaflets for pedestrians aged 11-16 years old. We have seen an increase in young pedestrians involved in accidents on busy commuting routes (using mobiles, listening to music etc.) and are hoping to deliver some road safety advice to the schools in the area. Any help would be much appreciated!

Becky Hinchley

admin
    Keymaster

We use a resource called Ghost Streets. Ghost streets is a DVD resource focused around a teenager who lives in a world of distractions. The teen is hit by a car whilst chatting to her friend and ends up having an out of body experience meeting other teens who have been killed from various ways (mobile phone, no seatbelt, no cycle helmet)

The film is 10 minutes long, and then classroom discussion follows.

Happy to discuss with you.

Beverley

Beverley Mercer

E: bmercer@warrington.gov.uk

admin
    Keymaster

We focus on transition yr6/7 – partnership sponsor “Streetwise” theatre tour for yr 7 – Step Up resource which was intended to link in with RouteGuard app:

https://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/info/safer-for-others/step-up

and we do activity in yr6 Safety in Action summer circus on this. For which I’ve adapted a simple bookmark which summarizes info in apparently acceptable manner for yr7 to Uni students/language students. Contact if interested!

Keith Baldock

E: keith.baldock@brighton-hove.gov.uk

admin
    Keymaster

Hi

We have a nice little assembly pack for our HeadsUp campaign aimed at teenage pedestrians and being alert and aware when there are potential distractions like smartphones.

Louise

E: louise.pittam@agilysis.co.uk
    T: 01295731810

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Becky

I am the Road Safety Officer for Derbyshire’s Secondary schools.
    I use a resource called ‘Ghost Street’ plus some others which works very well and I am happy to discuss these with you.

Can I ask a couple of questions myself in order to better help and advise you

Q1. Who has seen an increase in pedestrians involved in collisions? and which area is it that you are hoping to deliver in?
    Q2. Where are your statistics from?

Anna Burgin RSO Derbyshire County Council

E: anna.burgin@derbyshire.gov.uk
    T: 01629 538059

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Becky,
    Is there a particular age group that is affected more than others? Typically there is a spike in the 11-13 age bracket as children get used to making journeys on their own, copying the behaviour of their elder peers etc.

It may be worth creating an initiative to help the children as they transition from primary to secondary school. The last half of the summer term (after SATs) in Y6 is an excellent time to do this. Or is there a more pressing need?

We have created various transition materials for councils in London, Midlands and Cheshire. Do let me know if you’d like to see some examples

Kind regards
    James

James Marsh

E: james@b3online.co.uk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.