Pre/Post Campaign Evaluation

Home Page Forums Help Forum: Behaviour Pre/Post Campaign Evaluation

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Karen Delaney
    Participant

Safer Roads GM are developing a speed and anti-social driving campaign and the research company who are overseeing the evaluation have asked if there can be lessons learnt from others. Do you have any information/research/advice on the following :-

– any insight you can provide relating to the where and when of speeding (urban versus motorways, times of day) and crucially, the “why” (how do perpetrators justify speeding in different scenarios?)
    – any thoughts/hypotheses you have regarding what does, or doesn’t work in terms of targeting perpetrators and/or influencers?
    – any content you have that we might use as stimulus – ads or social content, videos, case studies – what’s worked, or not, and do you have any insight into why?
    – anything that enables us to build a richer picture of the target audience… segments and typologies, pen portraits etc
    – any insights you’ve captured into the mindset and motivations of speeders, and any changes or challenges you’ve identified?
    – any barriers you’ve identified to messaging resonating with or changing the behaviour of young male speeders?
    – any thoughts on segmentation and targeting within the broad young/male speeder audience – ethnicity, age cohorts and the role of influencers (parent versus mates versus girlfriends/wives/partners)

Contact me direct – karen.delaney@tfgm.com

Thank you in advance

Andrew Fraser
    Participant

Karen,

I hope you’ll excuse me for banging on about this, but there’s oodles of research on the matters you list. None of it would matter a great deal if we could only change the mindset of governments who are taking the worst possible route to Intelligent Speed Assistance – leaving it to the market. Intelligent Speed Assistance has been with us for years now (look up Oliver Carsten’s & Leeds University’s work), but only Transport for London has adopted ISA for its buses.

As I understand it, however, from 2022, all new vehicles will be fitted with a (to my mind second rate) form of ISA which involves traffic sign recognition, rather than a GPS/digital map system. But the cost of doing nothing earlier must be huge, and is probably calculable, although no-one appears to want to know.

As far as changing behaviour is concerned, this nearly impossible task might have been achieved if governments had adopted graduated driver licensing (GDL), rather than sitting back and allowing school based pre-driver training-type “initiatives” to go ahead (guaranteed to increase casualty numbers).

I wonder whether you might be better aiming your campaign at government complacency, rather than the all-too-human driver.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Roger Hosking
    Participant

Hi Karen.

I’m a driving instructor and I agree with the comments from Andrew Fraser.
    As driving instructors, we were asked for our opinions on graduated licences years ago. I don’t have access to the results of surveys, but I personally would support GDL’s.

Another report in this weeks update ‘Vehicle speed compliance statistics for Great Britain: January to March 2021’ confirmed my own thoughts about road speedss. I think changing the behaviour of drivers will be very difficult. As instructors, we can encourage our pupils to be speed aware while they are learning. However. Once they have passed their driving test, there is no further encouragement to put into practice what they have been taught and they simply do what everyone else does.

My own personal view is that there is no general enforcement of (any?) road behaviour form the Police. Any one caught is just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also, is the government just waiting for sefl-driving cars, when driver behaviour is controlled by the vehicle…?

Regards, Roger Hosking, ADI.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.